Friday, November 4, 2011

Nov 4: Nashville to Falling Waters SP, Florida

Today's route is I-65 from Nashville to Montgomery, then US-231 down to FL.  It was a beautiful day, and a good drive.  I'm starting to get used to towing the little house behind me.  Actually, it tows great.  I can literally drive with one finger on the wheel, if I cared to.


We didn't know what to expect in Alabama.  Terry's never been there, and I was only there once, as a kid. That would have been 1967 or 1968.  We had stopped to visit one of Dad's air force buddies.  We stayed in the Jefferson Davis Hotel in downtown Montgomery, across from the bus station.    Dad was distressed by the people boarding buses to go to DC to protest.  That is my main memory of Alabama.


Anyway, Alabama looked a lot like Tennessee, until we got onto 231. Down there, in the south, it is farming and ranching country.  Not too fertile by the looks of things. Cotton, cows, and peanuts.  


Have you ever eaten boiled peanuts?  It's a local, um, delicacy.  If you haven't tried them, you will probably be surprised.  They are sold in roadside shacks, and I do mean shacks.  We stopped in at an actual store, the Bama Nut Shop in Brundidge, AL.  We sampled the boiled peanuts, but they were not for us.  Maybe if we had been able to try them hot.  Did buy some peanut brittle, taffy, jam, and a small pecan log.  I remember Stuckey's used to be famous for pecan logs, and we did not know what they were.  So I've had one, and eh, it's okay.  Maybe Stuckey's were better.


Here's a photo of the place I found on the web

As we passed through Dothan, they were gearing up for the National Peanut Festival.  Judging by the traffic control setup, it is officially a Big Deal.  http://www.nationalpeanutfestival.com/





No comments:

Post a Comment