Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Nov 6: Wakulla Springs to St. George Island

Today we left Falling Waters to head for St. George Island State Park. We detoured by way of Wakulla Springs State Park.


We have no idea about Henry the pole vaulting fish.  But they do have manatees.


The manatees in the photo are right over the spring.  It's about 120 feet down, and produces two to four thousand gallons per SECOND.  Some days the water is crystal clear, and glass bottom boat rides are offered.  It's said you can see mastodon skeletons down there.  Wish it had been clear water for our visit, but no such luck.  Terry and I once visited the Kitch-Iti-Kipi Spring park in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.  It was crystal clear, and we pulled a rope and pulley-propelled viewing raft out to the middle and could see all the way to the bottom.  I still remember Terry squealing with fear, lol.  About whether we were breaking the rules, or we were gonna die, or both.

The spring here creates the Wakulla River, which is a pretty nice sized waterway.   It hosts many gators, turtles, and birds big and small.  We took a boat tour of the river inside the park.



This park was the setting for Creature From The Black Lagoon, and some Tarzan movies.  It's a beautiful place to spend a little time.

As an aside, comparing the photos from Terry's Canon point and shoot camera to those from my Nikon point and shoot make it clear I need a better camera. I bought the Nikon because it has a wider field of view and uses AA batteries, which I like.  No charger to bother with, just use lithium disposables and they last a long time.  Time to upgrade, I think.

After our river tour, we pointed our rig south, to the Gulf of Mexico.

2 comments:

  1. The picture of Dad next to the sign cracks me up because it reminds me of Brother and I in the picnic basket at a Yogi Bear way back when :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't even know what it said when I stood next to it for the picture! They definitely did not mention Henry to us on the tour.

    ReplyDelete